Westside Sends Vocal Students to District Music Contest

Westside’s Vocal Music Department will send four large choirs, two small ensembles, and 15 soloists to the District Music Contest, which is taking place on Wednesday, April 10 through Saturday, April 13. At the event, students will have the opportunity to perform in front of and receive feedback from judges.

“District Music Contest is an event sponsored by the Nebraska School’s Activities Association that’s a statewide event,” Choral Director Doran Johnson said. “It’s the only music event sponsored by the NSAA, but it doesn’t culminate into any sort of state championship, there’s no next level after districts, which is kind of misleading, but it’s a state level event for music.”

Johnson said that he is looking forward to performing in a new space and having his choirs experience new acoustics.

“District Music Contest really is an opportunity,” Johnson said. “It’s a reason for us to be at our absolute best, so I like the motivation that that brings.”

Sophomore Laura Dodge, who will be performing in the large choirs, said that she is excited to attend districts this year.

“I am looking forward to performing, and I have never gone to districts, so I’m excited to see what it’s all about and perform songs that normally I wouldn’t perform,” Dodge said.

Junior Yasmine Elrefaie is performing a solo in the competition and said that she is also looking forward to performing in a new space with new judges.

“I am excited to hopefully improve in my performance, and experience getting to do districts.”

Johnson said that he hopes his large choirs will score ones, the best score possible, in the District Music Contest. He also said he wants the soloists to have a great experience, do their best, and gain something out of the process.