Overlooked: Cade Haberman Breaks Squat Record

Senior football lineman Cade Haberman recently broke the school squat record with 540 pounds. He had beaten the previous record set by Harrison Jordan, a former Westside Warrior. Haberman had been trying to beat the record all of high school, setting his own personal record at 505 pounds his sophomore year. He had been battling Will Hurtado back and forth for best squat this year. Haberman has been lifting since he was 13. 

“It feels great to beat a school record. Growing up, I’ve always looked up to Harrison Jordan. My dad is a coach, so I would be in the weight room every summer. I was always lifting, I saw so many great Warriors. I knew coming into my freshman year it would be an expectation,” Haberman said.

Haberman reflected on how he got his motivation to lift seriously and when he got to Westside, and how it changed his view on the atmosphere in the weight room.

“Recently Will [Hurtado] has been a great drive of motivation but [for me] it used to be Jackson McMillen. Competition is always good. It was a matter of pushing those limits everyday,” he said. “I first seriously lifted my freshman year, I’ve always been around a weight room so I knew what to do. Back in Blair, we had a weight class but it wasn’t serious.  It was mostly to hang with friends. When I got transferred to the Westside I knew I had to buy-in the lifting everyday. I plan on having the highest Big 3 in school history.  Records are set to be broken, and I hope someone beats my records.” 

Watch the video here.