Westside Announces Move to 50% Capacity for Middle and High Schools

Westside Middle School and Westside High School will be moving to 50% capacity after Labor Day.

Image Courtesy of Westside Community Schools Twitter

In a statement posted to Westside’s district website on Friday, Aug. 28, Superintendent Mike Lucas announced that as of Thursday, Sept. 3, Westside Middle School and Westside High School will be moving to 50% capacity in yellow mode. 

When the middle and high schools are at 50% capacity in yellow mode, students with last names L-Z will be on campus Thursdays and Fridays while students with last names A-K will be on campus Mondays and Tuesdays. No students will be on campus on Wednesdays.

On Aug. 18, Westside Middle School and Westside High School began in-person classes at 25% capacity in yellow mode. According to Lucas’ statement, two staff members and zero students have had confirmed cases of COVID-19 since then. 

Lucas also stated it is the district’s intent to move to green mode beginning Thursday, Sept. 17. This will allow for 80% capacity, excluding the 20% of students signed up for extended campus learning who will finish out the first quarter from home. 

“We continue to need everyone to do their part to help battle COVID-19,” Lucas stated. “Please be diligent over the Labor Day Weekend and each and every day.”