High School Assistant Principal, Westside Alumnus To Leave District After 26 Years

Westside alumnus and Assistant Principal Trudi Nolin will leave Westside Community Schools after being in the district for 26 years.

Image from Westside Community Schools's Website

A beloved Westside alumnus and Assistant Principal, Trudi Nolin, will be leaving Westside Community Schools after 26 years within the district. After Nolin’s husband, Ronn Nolin, received a job promotion, the two decided to relocate to Houston, Texas in order to be closer to his company headquarters. Nolin recalled one of her favorite memories from Westside as the induction of the school fight song.

“We started having kids take the song to any sport events that were going on, and eventually it went where the football team was doing it, the basketball team was doing it, everyone was doing it at the games,” Nolin said. “I think it’s very exciting to see the school spirit.”

Nolin said the fact that her kids enjoyed the district is one of her favorite memories regarding Westside. 

“When your own kids enjoy things, as a staff member you feel good about the place that you’re at as well,” Nolin said. 

Nolin said that the Westside staff member who has most greatly impacted her life is former Westside High School Principal John Crooke. 

“[Crooke is] the one who inspired me to move from a math teacher to administration, and I’m grateful for him supporting me,” Nolin said.

Nolin said that she hopes that she has impacted students in a positive way by encouraging them to make good choices and do well in school, instead of simply implementing harsh consequences.

“I think being able to talk with students on what’s going on in their life [is important],” Nolin said. “Sometimes when people think [of] discipline, [they think] you are harsh and always doing those kind[s] of things, but hopefully it’s more you’re talking with a student [and helping them to do better in life].”

Lois Rasgorshek, Nolin’s fellow assistant principal, said she will miss the laughs shared with Nolin.

“Every day we always laugh and we have fun, I know it probably sounds silly to kids, but we laugh and we have fun with things that we do,” Rasgorshek said. “[Nolin] is always positive and always energetic and encouraging.”

Rasgorshek said that she will miss Nolin’s knowledge on Westside’s history.

“I will miss her ideas and her knowledge about Westside,” Rasgorshek said. “She’s been here for 20 plus years, so its [like having a resident historian. [I also will miss] just her as a person. She is a wonderful human being.”