Marketing 2 Partnership Terminated Due To Violation Of District Policy

Aayushi Chaudhary

Westside Community Schools recently emailed a district wide statement regarding the closure of all district facilities effective from Saturday, March 14 to Friday, March 20.

Westside Wired published a story on Friday, Nov. 8, about a partnership formed between the local real estate company, Exceptional Properties Group, and the Marketing 2 class at Westside High School. The partnership was initiated by former Westside instructor and coach John Brian, who had his teaching contract terminated during May of 2019. Since the article was published, and Westside building and district administrators learned of the relationship, the project with the Marketing 2 class has since been terminated. On Monday, Nov. 11, Westside Superintendent Mike Lucas sent a district-wide email to parents and staff explaining district policy 6310, where staff are required to receive approval from building administration before beginning any partnership or project including non-school personnel, which was reason as to why the partnership between the Marketing 2 class and real estate group was terminated.

“There was an article in last Friday’s ‘Westside Wired’ about a high school partnership that was created with a former employee and that partnership is being terminated this morning because it had not been discussed with, or approved by, building administration,” Lucas wrote in the email.

Westside High School Principal Jay Opperman declined to comment himself, instead referring us to Westside Director of Communications and Engagements Brandi Paul. Paul said the partnership between the Marketing 2 class and Exceptional Properties Group violated district policy.

“District Policy 6310 requires all staff to get approval from building administration before having speakers or consultants on curricular topics,” Paul wrote in an emailed statement. “This includes partnerships or projects involving non-school personnel working with our students in any capacity. District policy wasn’t followed in [the Marketing 2 project with Exceptional Properties Group].”

When asked to further comment on the subject, Lucas said he did not have anything else to add.

Read more about the initial partnership here