Westside Student Serves As Student Teacher Within District

Olivia Villotta

Senior Max Applegate works on an engineering and technology project.

Westside High School senior Max Applegate, with support from his middle and high school teachers, has been teaching at Westbrook Elementary School preparing to become a student teacher at Westside Middle School starting next semester. He plans to go down the career path of teaching, specializing in engineering and technology. Engineering and technology instructor Paul Cross said he was impressed with Applegate’s gift of interacting with kids. Cross said his impression of Applegate lead to him mentioning the idea of Applegate becoming an engineering and technology teacher.

“Two years ago, when [Max] was a sophomore he came up to volunteer for an eighth-grade open house and he did an amazing job working with the students,” Cross said. “[This was] surprising [to me] because Max was your typical freshman: squirrelly [and] goofy. [However], he was perfect with [the eighth-graders, asking] them questions and [listening] to them. [After that night was over], I told him ‘have you ever thought about being a teacher [for] wood shop, robotics, electronics, or drafting?’ [After mentioning teaching], he was interested in that idea.”

Applegate explained what his duties as a student-teacher entail.

“[Being a student-teacher at the elementary school] starts out where I’m just like a helper in the class,” Applegate said. “I go around [and] if a student needs something I help them with it; if someone’s struggling I go up [and] see what I can do. Part of the course is actually teaching the class yourself, like doing lesson plans.”

Applegate said the areas he helps students in will change once he switches from Westbrook Elementary School to Westside Middle School. 

“On Thursdays, I help with reading and science and on Wednesdays, I help with spelling and math” Applegate said. “It will change when I go to the middle school because I will be specifically just in the E and T area, so I’ll be teaching [topics I’m more interested in].”

Westside High School engineering and technology instructor David Shabram said he was  Applegate’s engineering and technology instructor while he was in middle school and said that he was excited to hear about Applegate’s accomplishments.

“I remember Max when he was in seventh and eighth grade, [so] you know it’s really neat to hear Mr. Cross talk about where he is at now and the great things Max has been doing and can go towards,” Shabram said.

Family consumer science instructor Elizabeth Cosentino said Applegate has been in several of her classes and said she is excited to see him pursue a teaching career path.

“I actually didn’t know [Max] wanted to become a teacher,” Consentino said. “I had him in foods class a while ago; I want to say he was a freshman but I’m not positive about that. When I saw him on my list [for my Intro to Education class] I was like ‘oh Max is in it again,’ I was excited. I actually talked to [Paul] Cross at conferences and he was super excited [about Max pursuing an engineering and technology teaching career]; he said that the other E&T guys have been encouraging him.”

Applegate said Cross and Cosentino inspired him and have motivated him to pursue a teaching career.

“Cosentino [has helped me] because she’s the director of [the Intro to Education class that I’m taking], and has done a really great job,” Applegate said. “Cross [is a teacher who impacted me as well]. I was just walking out of the high school, late as usual, and he was like, ‘Max I hear you’re teaching at the middle school, I’m very proud of you.’ [Hearing this from Cross] motivated me quite a bit [since] he’s a great teacher.”

Shabram said the engineering and technology department is encouraging more students to follow in Applegate’s footsteps.

“When we talk about teachers in engineering and technology there is a very high demand and low supply [of engineering and technology teachers] here in the state and everywhere in the country,” Shabram said. “It’s really important with students like Max where if we can encourage them to help…keep our programs going.”

Applegate said he is grateful for the opportunities Westside provides for their students.

“I’m very fortunate that I go to Westside and [that students] have opportunities to see into the career field that [interests us],” Applegate said. “I hope to get experience teaching, experience working with kids and college credits.”