Westside Volleyball Hosts Teacher Appreciation Night

On Thursday, October 3rd, before Westside varsity volleyball faced off against Lincoln North Star, the girls would took a moment to honor and appreciate any teacher that has inspired them. Assistant head coach Kristi Filipi has hosted and coordinated this ceremony for all levels of Westside volleyball for the past four years. Filipi explained what a Teacher Appreciation Night looks like while reviewing what could be improved. 

“I think it went pretty well. I was disappointed that our Freshman team had to play in the activity gym tonight, which they hadn’t had to do this year, and we don’t have a PA system in there. So we didn’t really get to give recognition to the teachers that the freshmen invited like I would’ve liked. But I thought the rest went really, really well,” Filipi said.

Assistant coach Filipi said how Teacher Appreciation Night looked different for varsity, while also explaining a mishap with one of the players.

“For varsity, the teachers get to line up with the girls and get introduced on the line with them. They’re the only level in the program that gets to do that. I think it went really well. We only had one teacher not show up for the varsity. That’s disappointing because we were under the understanding that she was coming, but other than that I thought it went really well,” Filipi said.

Freshman outside hitter Daniela Gologon was the only student standing on the court alone. She explained how she felt during that time on the court.

“I kind of felt a little let down,” Gologon said. “I put some effort into that card and I wish she would have come. It was a little embarrassing, but I’ll shake it off.”

While disappointed, Gologon expressed how she feels about Teacher Appreciation Night.

“I feel like it gives back to teachers who give us education. That we’re not just athletes, we’re all about academics. I think it’s a good thing for us. Without teachers, we wouldn’t have school [and] we couldn’t play school ball. I think [other athletics] should appreciate them more,” Gologon said.

Head coach Korrine Bowers explained how she feels about Gologon’s situation.

“I felt awful for her. I wanted to go out there and stand by her,” Bowers said. “We hold this night for our teachers. I really hope she can come back and talk to Daniela and explain.”

Coach Bowers expressed her stance on student-athletes and the importance Teachers Appreciation Night. 

“My parents always instilled in me, ‘you’re a student first [and] you’re an athlete second’. Academics is number one, thats whats gonna get you somewhere in life,” Bowers said. “So, by having Teacher Appreciation Night, [it] really shows the girls and audience that we’re a program that focuses on academics first.” 

That night on the court, German teacher Amber Hollenbeck stood with sophomore defensive specialist, Natalie Bratetic. Teacher Appreciation Night being hosted by Westside volleyball, Ms.Hollenbeck said she was surprised to have received Bratetic’s invitation.

“Well this is kind of funny because I got the invitation in my mailbox and I handed it to Natalie in homeroom. She’s like ‘that’s for you,  it’s an invitation’. I’ve been, at least, homeroom teacher since her freshman year. I also taught her in German 2 and now in German 4. I kind of been with her since the beginning.” Hollenbeck said.

Bratetic explained her thoughts on the Teachers Appreciation Night and why she chose Ms.Hollenbeck.

“I like Teacher Appreciation Night because it [is] a chance to recognize all the teachers and the students. It’s really something special, at least for me it is. I think it’s so cool that we do it,” Bratetic said.

Ms. Hollenbeck said she appreciates the ceremony, recognition, and just sitting down and being able to watch one of her students play.

“It said in the little note, thanks for the support and a nice note about her experience in my class. It was nice to get that kind of feedback. I’m really happy to come watch them. It’s kind of been on my list of things I’ve been wanting to do but just didn’t, so it was a good opportunity to come,” Hollenbeck said.