Broadway Musical ‘Hamilton’ Technicians Visit Westside Theater Class

Ava Van Gelder

Featured above is the theater class that the Hamilton technicians visited.

On Friday, September 27, Broadway musical ‘Hamilton’ head electrician, Todd Davis, along with the show’s interim props director and local stagehand talked to Westside students interested in professional theater. 

“During the show itself, I run the lighting console, so I press the button about 1,300 times during each show,” Davis said. “It’s a very busy lighting show.”

Davis said that he loves running the lights for the show because the lighting booth is in the audience, so he gets to see the audience’s reactions.

“This is one of those shows that gets a really positive response from a wide range of people,” Davis said. “That’s really gratifying [to see].”

While at Westside, the three professional technicians answered questions from students about college options, career paths, and life advice.

“I had some people that helped me a lot when I started off, and I feel like [talking to students is] paying it forward,” Davis said. “It’s important for people that are in schools to hear from people who are working professionally.”

Sophomore Maggie Siler said that she appreciated being able to talk to people in professional theatre because they know how to get involved in the community and how to be successful in the field after college.

“It was really cool to be able to ask about professional theatre because they’re really into the profession and have had multiple jobs on Broadway tours,” Siler said.