Project Unify Holds Homecoming Dinner For Special Education Students

On September 28 at 7 p.m. in room 328, Project Unify held their annual homecoming for Westside’s special education students. The group starts off with having their homecoming dinner, then they head down to the gym to attend the dance with their teachers. Project Unify sponsor and Special Education Instructor Megan Riege is in charge of this event.

“This event has been around for a while now,” Riege said. “[When] I came to Westside two years ago, it was already here, then I decided to continue the tradition of having a separate homecoming for the special education kids.”

Project Unify was started during the 2010-2011 school year and has been in at the high school ever since. The club consists of many activities and field trips throughout the year. 

Anavela Santos
Freshmen Walt Snodgrass and Jillian Wetjen dance at homecoming.

“[Project Unify is] a student-led organization,” Riege said. “They organize different activities to get to know you through types of fun games and activities. It’s a club that incorporates general education students and special education students.” 

Riege said that she believes it is important for general education students recognize special education students and form relationships with them.

“I think it’s really important that the people in general education, know who our students are and how amazing they are,” Riege said. “Not necessarily in a school-related way but in a club-related way.” 

Riege said that she believes Project Unify shows students how important it is to treat each other equally. 

“Just having that mesh between both [kind of] students is really, really cool and I think it’s really important,” Riege said. “Everyone is the same and everyone should be treated fairly.” 

One of the three current Presidents of Project Unify, junior Abigail Carlson, said she believes  the club helps establish an inclusive environment. 

“I like this club because it’s good for [special education students] to have more people to talk to, like to bring people together for a more including environment,” Carlson said.

Carlson said that she enjoys the Project Unify homecoming event, especially when the special education students have fun at the dance.

“I’ve always wanted to be a Special Education [Instructor] so for me, this is a good experience to learn,” Carlson said. “I love to work with special education students, and since I know so many of them, it’s just fun to see them excited to go have fun and dance with their friends.”

Special education student and freshman, Walt Snodgrass, said that his favorite part of the dance was being with his friends. 

“[I like this event because] it’s fun, [I like being] in this event,” Snodgrass said. “[I’m excited] to dance, it’s fun, and being with friends, I like the food, too.” 

Special education student and sophomore, Gabby Kotas, said that she likes dancing with her friends and is looking forward to the next event. 

“It’s awesome,” Kotas said. “I hope to keep on coming [to this event]. [I] enjoy it a lot and [I’m] excited to dance with my friends.” 

Kathy McClellan, a Westside parent of a special education student, believes that this event is a great way for all students to feel more included. 

“[I like this event] because I love the social interaction that they have just as if they were typical students,” McClellan said. “The typical student goes to homecoming, why can’t our special kids go to homecoming. The inclusion of our children really matters. I care that they are having a great time just like all of the other students.”