Guidance IMC Adds Brain Break Area

Anavela Santos

Featured above is the brain break area in the Guidance IMC.

Westside’s counseling department created a new space known as a brain break station. This station gives students a chance to relax and refocus when stressed during the school day. According to Counselor Lindsey Stover, this new station can help calm down students and help them with their breathing. 

“[It benefits students because] It gives everyone a chance to shut their brain down and refocus,” Stover said. “It slows down their breathing and lets you relax in a calm manner, [especially] when you’re choosing the next color and focusing on the pattern.” 

According to Stover, the space has been successful so far and it will be an ongoing process.

“I love it, I go out there once in a while and color myself,” Stover said. “We’re getting pillows in the area so students can get more comfortable as well.” 

Counselor Kathy Toner said that she was excited when she found out about the new idea. 

“It’s kind of a stress reliever, I’ve even gone up there [myself],” Toner said. “It gets your mind off of stress by coloring, it’s [just] a mindless task you can enjoy. Hopefully we’ll get some more.” 

Counselor Lauri Cunningham said she and Head of the Counseling Department, Vicki Londer,  had a large part to do with the new idea.

“Dr. Londer and I were online one day and she found something like [the area],” Cunningham said. “We looked further into it and we both thought of it creatively together.” 

Cunningham said that she highly recommends that students go and try it out.  

“We’ve known through research that coloring calms the mind and helps your creative brain relax,” Cunningham said. “I think it’ll benefit [students when they are] stressed [and need] a break.” 

According to Cunningham, the whole guidance office is proud of their success and they hope to make it even better so more students can use it. 

“We’re [planing] on getting a portfolio to place all of the [completed] colored ones and keep them stored away,” Cunningham said. “I feel good [about the station] because I know some students need it. In fact, I took a picture of a student coloring and sent it to Dr. Londer and said ‘hey our idea is working.’”