English IMC Introduces New Reward System

Kidus Tewodros

Featured above is the box used to enter students into the raffle where they have the chance to win a $20 giftcard.

Faculty in the English IMC recently set up a reward system in order to create a more positive way to encourage students to behave appropriately and stay productive in the IMC. According to English Department Head and Instructor Molly Spisak, if an IMC supervisor sees a student following all of the expectations for the IMC, the student may be selected to enter a raffle. At the end of the quarter, the name drawn wins a $20 gift card, however, the place of the gift card has not been decided yet.

“During our meeting, Ms. Szeik suggested that we have a reward system for students in this space to encourage students to follow the rules [of the IMC],” Spisak said. “After [Szeik] suggested it, English and Language teachers discussed it as a group and decided it was something we could easily implement and put into place.”

Freshman Lance Buscher said that he has mixed emotions about the new reward system.

“I think it’s a good way [to keep students behaved], however there could be better ways,” Buscher said. “I don’t know what my chances of winning the [the reward] are.”

Several faculty members have noticed change of behavior in the English IMC, such as Educational Assistant Gina Dukes. 

“I think so far [the reward system] is working,”Dukes said. “[Students] are on their best behavior and they’re not as rowdy. I feel like [the] students [who use the English IMC] are a lot more polite this year.”