Westside Community Celebrates Beginning of School Year with Back to School BBQ

Sofia Drelicharz

Students, staff and parents gather in the main gym to view the pep rally at the Back to School BBQ.

On Wednesday, August 21, Westside High School hosted the Back To School BBQ which offered free food in the courtyard and a pep rally in the main gym. The event was sponsored by the Westside Athletic Club and several members were present at the event to encourage parents to join the club. The pep rally featured awards, a song performed by ATSC and routines from Westside’s dance and cheer squads. Sophomore Brooke McKay, a junior varsity cheerleader, said she was anxious prior to their performance.

“I’m very excited to perform, but we’re a little nervous because we just switched songs,” McKay said. “It’s [also] really hot in the gym.”

McKay said her favorite part of the BBQ was performing for a different audience.

“My favorite part about the event is performing for friends and family,” McKay said. “We usually only perform in front of the school but a ton of families got to come [to this].”

Amy Brown, one of the hosts of the Back to School BBQ as well as Westside Athletic Club member, said that she chose to host the event because her children attend Westside schools and she loves helping out with the pep rally. 

“I chose to host this event because I want to give back to the community and the school that my kids go to and [are] a part of,” Brown said. “I was asked to [host] because I’m with the Westside athletic club. Last year I helped Stacie Matz and then this year [was] my turn.”

Brown said that each year they order food for 1,500 people and that they expected an even greater turnout this year.

“We [usually] order [food] for 1,500 people, [that’s] what we’ve done in the past,” Brown said. “I told them this year that maybe I did a little…too good of [a] job on Twitter, and [they might need] to make a little extra.”

Brown said that her favorite part of the event was the general excitement of everyone involved.

“Earlier the softball girls came in and they were getting fired up 45 minutes early,” Brown said. “I just love everybody’s pure spirit and heart when they come into this event. Everyone’s excited.”

Brown said that the pep rally is a fun way for the Westside community to support students.

“I think this [event] is a really fun way for all of us to come together after the summer,” Brown said. “Everybody’s been gone [and] it’s nice to see everybody come back and support all of the student-athletes and students here.”