Freshman Invited to National Lacrosse Competition

Pictured: Freshman Carter Hogan

Freshman Carter Hogan is an experienced lacrosse player, having played for nine years and a member of the Westside Boys Lacrosse team. He recently qualified for National Faceoff Showdown, where he will compete against the other top 200 lacrosse players in the country. Hogan will participate in several faceoffs in order to move up in the competition.

“I’m just excited to go there and try to learn from those guys,” Hogan said. “No matter what the outcome is I’ll be happy.”

Faceoffs are a crucial part of lacrosse, they determine who gets possession at the start of quarters and after goals. Faceoffs are the deciding factor in many close games of lacrosse, and can be heavily influenced by the player’s confidence.

“This [invitation] kind of helps assure my confidence, and [that] I can compete with the best guys no matter where they’re from,” Hogan said.

Although he is facing off against this best in America, Hogan said he is confident.

“I like to have high expectations for myself but obviously that’s the best of the best kids,” Hogan said. “Coming from Nebraska where lacrosse isn’t very big, I’m at a little bit of a disadvantage but I’m just excited to go there and try to learn from those guys.”

Hogan has proved to be an important part of Westside’s offense this year. He averages two point three goals per game, more than double the next key offensive player.

“I think that this season is a rebuilding year,” Hogan said. “We haven’t necessarily had the most consistent coaches and our culture hasn’t always been on point.”

Although Westside’s team isn’t as strong as has been in previous years, Hogan is focused on the future of the program.

“This is a season that we need,” Hogan said. “No matter how far we get, I think we made progress and set ourselves good for next year to hopefully do a lot better.”