Students Reflect on Notre Dame Fire

The Notre Dame Cathedral fire was a shock to many on April 16, 2019. The fire has affected many individuals in different ways. A group affected in particular, is Westside Choir.  Students have attended the honor choir trip to Europe in past years and students are going on the upcoming trip this summer. Westside students on the trip will no longer get to perform at Notre Dame.

“When we first walked up to the Notre Dame I didn’t realize how big it was until we walked in and saw the inside,” junior Lan Volberding said. “My favorite part was seeing people from all around the world stop to listen to us sing.”

Each year, honor choir students from all around Omaha go to Europe for two weeks. During the trip, they travel to seven countries and sing mainly in cathedrals as well as visit famous landmarks. Director of Music at University of Nebraska Lincoln, Dr. Pete Elkund, said that singing at Notre Dame has always been a significant part of the trip.

“I have been doing this trip for around 25 years and every year the most significant part about Notre Dame to me [is] watching people’s faces,” Elkund said.

Although the trip will be forever changed, there remain similar breathtaking cathedrals where students will perform.

“I’m guessing we are finding a substitute performance location besides Notre Dame, however, we will still go there depending on what is open,” Elkund said.

Elkund said Notre Dame suffering from fire damage has affected people in many different ways.

“Many people are sick to their stomachs,” Elkund said. “I’ve had many people reach out to me to say they know I conduct there every summer and that they are thinking of me. I know a lot of people just feel sad.”

Volberding said discussing the event in her French class changed her perspective regarding the fire.

“At first I didn’t really care, and then it hit me because my French teacher was talking about it and she was crying which made me realize how lucky I was to be able to sing in the Notre Dame,” Volberding said. “It made me sad that this important historical piece got ruined.”