Preview: DECA Students Attend State Competition

DECA celebrates Thanksgiving together.

From March 14 to March. 15, 89 students will be competing at State DECA in Lincoln. DECA is a business club that gives juniors and seniors in Marketing 1 & 2 the opportunity to compete in different role plays or written projects. It is a way for students to take what they have learned in the classroom and apply it to real-life situations.

In order to take part in State DECA, students must compete in either the Westside or Metro invites. They also must pass a test once they get to Lincoln.

“Something new this year that we didn’t do last year is we do [Tuesday] morning study sessions, and they rotate between role plays and practicing for the test,” senior Cedric Homan said.

DECA Advisor Katie Harmon said that she has had a great year with her DECA students. Aside from the Tuesday morning sessions.

“Kids, on their own, are using Quizlets and other DECA study materials to practice and prepare,” Harmon said.

Harmon said they are hopeful the state competition will be successful for their students.

“We are super excited taking the 89 kids that have been preparing and studying and getting their projects down in Lincoln, we think it’s going to be a really successful year at state DECA,” said Harmon.