Check Please: Westside Students Direct A One-Act Play

Student actors gather for applause at the end of the play.

This past week the comedy play Check Please premiered at Westside from Feb. 27 to March 1. Check Please is a farce comedy one-act about a series of first dates between a girl and a guy gone wrong. The show was completely lead by theater students Evan Dondlinger and Kate Stacy.

“We have had the cast for exactly a month but we’ve worked on preparations and designing [for] the show since November,” Co-director Evan Dondlinger said.

Check Please is set in a restaurant. Two characters, Guy and Girl played by Audrey Christensen and JT Bergman go on many first dates to find the perfect man or woman. Each date is different, but they are all equally horrible. In the end, the man and the woman finally bump into each other. By then, they are so worn out from all of their terrible first dates, the only answer is to leave the restaurant and go on a date together.

“My favorite part of the play is how comedic it is,” sophomore Audrey Christensen said.  “You could have came to that show all three nights and you still wouldn’t have caught every detail happening on stage.  Everywhere you looked there was its own little story.”

Dondlinger and Stacy had to work hours for the past three months to get the show ready to premiere on Feb. 27.

“I had directed one of the one-acts back in December so it was a weird experience trying to learn how to co-direct because before I could make the decisions on my own, but [for this show] I had to learn to bounce off of another person,” Stacy said. “It was a learning curve, but at the same time I went in with a lot of information that I had gained from directing a show last semester.”

There are many entertaining characters that go on dates with Guy and Girl throughout the play. They all have their own personalities and issues that make the show a true comedy.

“My favorite part about my character was definitely the fact that I got to experience so many dates,” Christensen said. “I got to stay on stage the whole time and watch both mine and JT’s scenes unfold and believe me there was never a dull moment.”

To put the show together, they worked to rehearse, make sets, and prepare for premiere night. All of that hard work pays off when the curtain goes up on the first night.

“The most rewarding moment for me was [Thursday night] of the show I was watching it and then I looked at all the ensemble and I saw them having genuine interactions and really enjoying themselves,” Dondlinger said.