Filed under Feature

National Spanish Honors Society Club Aims to Raise $8,000 for Hospital In Need

Students raise money for Hospital De La Divina Providencia in El Salvador.

Spanish National Honors Society is a service based club for students who are taking a high-level Spanish class. President, Harper Gordman, and the Society’s board have been working with the club on a fundraiser for a severely underfunded hospital in El Salvador. The focus of the hospital is to treat terminally ill cancer patients.

“Since we’re so privileged to be in the United States and have access to health care, it’s important to give back to the Spanish speaking community who doesn’t have that kind of option,” Gordman said.

Hospital De La Divina Providencia does not currently have enough beds for their patients. The club aims to raise $8,000 to cover the cost of eight new hospital beds for their facility. This project is especially unique because the club’s goal is over fifteen times what is normally raised by the students. With the support of the Westside community, the funds will affect many individuals impacted by cancer that reside in the hospital.E

“Not a single person on this planet isn’t affected by cancer someway or another through a friend or relative, so [raising money for the hospital] is what we can do to help a community in need,” Gordman said.

With $5,631 raised and four days left to go, the club is almost at their $8,000 goal. To donate and make a change, please visit https://www.snap-raise.com/fundraisers/westside-national-honor-spanish-society-2019

About the Writer
Zev Gordman, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Zev Gordman! I am a staff writer for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a freshman in highschool and this is my first year on Wired....

• National Spanish Honors Society Club Aims to Raise $8,000 for Hospital In Need

Feature

Science Department Looking to Find a Home for One of Their Snakes

Feature

Westside Engineering and Technology Department Receives Recognition

Feature

Cycle to Recycle

Feature

Students Create Lawn Service Business

Feature

Red Shield Leaders Chosen for 2019-2020 School Year

Feature

Westside Students Offer Advice for Preventing Sunburns

A&E

Kathmandu Momo Station Brings a Taste of Nepal to Blackstone District

Feature

Westside Students Resell Shoes for Profit

Feature

ENT Teacher Wins Award for Stellar Work in the Classroom

Feature

Student Finds Creative Outlet Through Welding