Seven Student Athletes Sign National Letter of Intent

From left to right: Liz Robinson, Cameron Kully, Tyson Guzman, Henry Zipay, Loren Woita, Dylan Packett and Noah Wing.

Photo Courtesy Tom Kerkman

On February 6, 2019, seven Westside students signed their national letter of intent to continue to play sports at the collegiate level.

“Signing day gives the athletes a chance to further their sports career, it’s a great opportunity because they to do the thing they love at a higher level, and I’m really excited for them, ” Athletic director Tom Kerkman said.

Kerkman said he believes that the opportunities the student athletes have at Westside and their own strengths gave them the chance to officially move on to the next level at signing day.

“Westside really prepares the kids for the next level, whether academically or athletically, and the coaches here are really special at making this happen for them,” Kerkman said.

The athletes that signed to play in college Wednesday were baseball infielder Cameron Kully (Des Moines CC), baseball infielder Henry Zipay (Iowa Western), Lacrosse midfielder Liz Robinson (Davenport University), football defensive back Tyson Guzman (Nebraska), baseball catcher Noah Wing (Nebraska Wesleyan), football long snapper Loren Woita (Northwest Missouri State), and football wide receiver Dylan Packett (Morningside).

“These student athletes truly have the passion to play sports, and we couldn’t be more honored that they get to represent Westside at the college level,” Kerkman said.  

Tyson Guzman, who signed to walk on to play football at Nebraska, said he is up for the challenge of playing for a power five conference team, and is excited to play under coach Scott Frost, as well as realizing his own personal goals.

“It’ll be a big challenge, but I’ll have the best coaching, and I’m most excited because walking on has always been a dream of my dad, so for me to say I play for Nebraska is very cool,” said Guzman.

The next signing day for student athletes will be April 17th, and is more specifically for players signing for winter sports.