Filed under A&E

Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

On Wednesday January 16th, the premier of the English dub of Dragon Ball Super: Broly was released in the United States, and I got the pleasure of viewing it. Let’s make one thing clear from the start: if you aren’t a Dragon Ball fan, this movie will not be for you. However, even if you are just an anime fan (or a fan of animation),the movie is a worthwhile watch.

The biggest difference for this movie (compared the the previous Dragon Ball series: Dragon Ball Super or DBS) is that the whole look of it got a huge overhaul. New character sheets for the series were drawn up, known as Shintani designs, based off of the new character designer. This look was much simpler and fluid, and allowed for more creativity from the animators, and in turn gave the movie an absolutely breathtaking look. It’s animation throughout is the best quality that has ever been produced for any Dragon Ball product to date. Every fight scene and even simple character moments are astoundingly well-crafted and made with care, this is something that is almost subjectively good about the movie. Now if you came to this movie looking for a well done story with deep moral questions, your not fully gonna get that.

In this shot we can see the detail that is possible with the new character sheets and animation, we can see the many veins and rage filled eyes easily.

Now if you came to this movie looking for a well done story with deep moral questions, your not fully gonna get that. As some know this movie is a reboot and canonization of the character Broly, aka “The Legendary Super Saiyan” originally a very, 2D character, his main motivation being a child crying, the series creator Akira Toriyama decided to finally write the character himself. This movie was built around Broly, and his story. The movie has some interesting questions with Paragus and his somewhat inhumane ways to keep his son, Broly, in check after being stuck on an abandoned planet for 41 years, surviving on bugs, but besides that it doesn’t have much for story.

The first image shown is of very emotive and expressive base form vegeta, this style of animation is easier to do with the new character designs.

Overall, this movie is a lot of fun to watch. Super Broly gets your blood pumping and makes your hair stands on end, as each punch you see thrown has a incredible impact. I’m going to give this movie two ratings, the first of which being as a Dragon Ball Film: 10/10. In my opinion, it’s the best looking, it’s a great reviving of old character, and it’s just plain fun. The second rating is as a regular film, which i will give a 6.5/10. This is because beyond the beautiful animation as well as the terrific fight choreography this isn’t much for story or character development outside of a few character so as a anime outsider, it’s not great, but if you are a Dragon Ball fan or at least a anime fan, it’s a worthwhile watch.

About the Writer
Jacob Sand, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Jacob Sand I am a Photographer/Game Reviewer for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a Senior and this is my second year on Wired. If...

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Best Picture Preview: Reviews of Black Panther, A Star is Born, VICE and BlackkKlansman

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Resident Evil 2 2019 Review

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

Lance

Follow Your Heart: A Valentine’s Day Comic

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Top 5 Anticipated Games of 2019

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Movie Review: Escape Room

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

Wired

Movie Review: Instant Family

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Movie Review: Black Mirror – Bandersnatch

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Musical Review: Disney’s Aladdin is ‘One Jump Ahead’

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Movie Review: Bird Box

• Movie Review: Dragon Ball Super Broly

A&E

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Review