A Recap on Film and Literature

Film and Literature is a course recommended by many.

Film and Literature, taught by Nathan Moseley was recently added to Westside’s course list. The class entails watching, reading, and discussing film and literature. The students discuss classics and new movies and books, such as Stephen King’s “The Body”, Arthur Clarke’s “The Sentinel”, and Ernest Haycox’s “Stage to Lordsburg”.

“It’s really for those that enjoy reading and enjoy watching movies and talking about it,” Moseley said.

While the class has no prerequisites, only seniors are allowed to take it. Senior Laurel Jackson took the course during first semester.

“It’s a really fun class and it takes you out of your comfort zone as far as movies, and you get to experience more that [you] wouldn’t normally,” Jackson said.

The class is in the group four category, meaning the out of class work required is often higher than other classes, but Jackson said she recommends it.

“I don’t regret taking the class, but sometimes the amount of reading that we had with the amount of time that we had to do it in was a little difficult,” Jackson said.

Students who took the class said they liked a variety of books and movies. Some of their favorites were Cornwell Woolrich’s “Rear Window”, Stephen King’s “The Shawshank Redemption”, and Cormac McCarthy “No Country for old men”.

“Based on the survey at the end of the semester, the favorites were Cornwell Woolrich’s “Rear Window”, Stephen King’s “The Shawshank Redemption”, and Cormac McCarthy’s “No Country For Old Men”. However, there were other students that didn’t really like those and loved the other films we watched,” said Moseley.