Gap Year

Gap+Year

The idea of taking a year off between the graduating high school and the beginning of college is often an appealing idea to high school students.However, a majority of kids decide to continue on with their future without the year in between. Three Westside High School seniors are choosing to do something a little different with their first year post high school.

Grace Arant, Caroline Rockman and Jenna Hager are all taking a year in between their senior year of high school and freshman year of college to do things that interest them.

Grace Arant leaves August 31 for a nine month mission trip with a Christian organization called Adventures in Mission. She is traveling with 20 other people about her same age and is visiting Central America, Southest Asia and Africa, for three months at a time. Along with helping the people of these areas, Arant is excited for the variety of fun activities available,

“I’m stoked for all the weekend trip we’ll get to take. Climbing, hiking, scuba diving, [going to] markets, learning patience in internet cafes, rafting, etc.” Said Arant.

After some convincing, Arant’s parents are really excited for her to go as well.

“My mom wasn’t super game for this when I first brought it up, so I didn’t even mention it to my dad. When I finally braved the conversation with him, he was all for it! They’re both really excited now.” Said Arant.

To follow Arant’s journey you can visit her blog at <a href=”http://gracearant.myadventures.org/”>gracearant.myadventures.org</a>.

Jenna Hager is also filling her gap year with service. She is traveling to Guatemala and Zambia, South Africa to teach at orphanages. She plans on teaching music, english, and helping out with the kids. In Zambia she is also going to write plays for the kids and teach them how to perform them. She will also spread her help outside of the orphanages,

“Aside from working with the kids specifically in the orphanage where I shall be living, I will go to the neighboring village and minister to them and just love on them.” Said Hager.

She leaves for Guatemala on September 6 and will be there just over two months. Then leaves again for Zambia January 2, and returns in the beginning of May. When she returns home for good she intends to attend college,

“I have been accepted to several [colleges], and so I shall weigh my options once I see them. However, if I feel different once I get back, I will do what ever feels best. I hope to be able to continue traveling someday and helping others.” Said Hager.

Caroline Rockman decided to take an academic gap year through Oxford called Kivunim, which means New Directions in Hebrew. A program based in Israel, Rockman will travel with 35 other Americans to 18 countries for about two weeks each while taking five different classes and learning Hebrew and Arabic. The mission statement of the program is to, “study the past, build the future.”

After Rockman applied for the program and got in, her decision was made,

“I’ll never have an opportunity like this again, and the things I will learn are skills I’ll be able to utilize for the rest of my life.” Said Rockman