Red Shield receives award for best student section

This year, an award was given to Westside from the Twitter account @OmahaHSFootball, declaring the student section the best in the state. The Twitter account is a source for Omaha metro high school football.

“There was a tweet put out on Twitter, where the school with the most replies would be put into a poll about who has the best section in the state.” Senior Cedric Homan, Red Shield leader said.

The original tweet from September 29th stated, “What’s the best student section in Nebraska? The four most replied schools will be placed in a Twitter poll to decide the champ. #NebPreps.” After help from administration, fans, and students, on October 10th, Westside was put on the poll.

“We have the most school spirit, we go all out, we do the most, we’re better than any other student section.” Senior Alec Folsom, Red Shield co-leader said.

With even more help from the community, Westside was once and for all declared best in the state. But many students still wonder what it means for the student section as a whole.

“The student section is just another thing for people to be a part of and a thing for people to do, I know a lot of people looked forward to it on Friday nights,” Homan said, “After we lost [the last football game] a bunch of people started asking about basketball game themes and I think it’s just something people really look forward to having a part in.”

Another Red Shield leader, Senior Nick Otis said there’s more to look forward to. “During the basketball season we’re looking forward to our new chants and distraction tactics, we love to ramp up the students and gas up the players on the court,” Otis says.