Filed under News

“Be Kind” with Westside’s World Language Department

Back to Article
Back to Article

The phrase

The phrase "Be Kind" was displayed in different languages on signs in Percival's classroom.

The Be Kind movement is a campaign which has recently taken Westside and the Omaha area by storm. This month, Westside’s World Language Department was chosen to adopt the campaign, and they decided to make a video showcasing students speaking the words, “Be Kind”, in different languages.

“We collaborate[d] a lot in the department and we all thought that a video would be the [best option for us to contribute],” world language department chair Sara Percival, said. “We [liked the idea] a lot [because] a video is a good way to demonstrate how kindness is a universal language.”

Percival said that students have been able to contribute to the video in many different ways.

“We’ve had students who have sent videos in, we’ve had students who have brought friends to record themselves saying ‘be kind’,” said Percival. “We’ve [even] had some students who were a little frightened to record themselves, but wrote it out for us so that we could use it later on.”

Cameran Runge, a chair for the Be Kind campaign on Student Council, also played a large role in making the video.

“The [World Language] department reached out to us [when they first came up with the idea to make the video]. Usually [we are the ones] getting in contact with the clubs, but with the World Language Department it was more like, ‘hey, we’ve got a really cool idea, want to do this?’”

Runge said that she was very impressed with the number of students and teachers in the video, and how many different countries people come from around the school. Overall, Percival says that it’s less about the video itself, and more about the message behind it.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re in the video, make it a daily practice to use kindness and make someone else’s day. The video’s good, but [in the end] it’s really the message, “Be Kind”, that’s the most important.”

About the Writer
Will Eikenbary, A&E Editor

Hi my name is Will Eikenbary! I am the Arts & Entertainment Editor for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a sophomore and this is my second year...

• “Be Kind” with Westside’s World Language Department

News

The Process of Calling a Snow Day

News

WiFi Issues Slowed Down the School Day

News

District Addresses Alleged Criminal Activity

News

Room 324 Floods Due to Snow Leakage

News

America Mourns the Death of George H. W. Bush

News

ALEK’s The New Era of Homework

News

IT Department Encourages Students to Protect Computers during the Winter

News

Guidance Department Sponsors Breakfast to Celebrate ACT Scores

Lance

Red Shield receives award for best student section

News

Business Teacher Jeanette Kleppinger Wins Entrepreneurship Award