Filed under Feature, Sports

Red Shield Shows Unity For Friday’s Playoff Game

Friday nights not only consist of battles between football teams, but the constant back and forth chants between their student sections creates a competition of its own. However, this Friday’s game will be different. After the tragic loss of Millard West senior, Blake McKune, on Saturday Oct. 27, Westside Red Shield and Millard West ‘Crazies’ have decided to put the rivalry aside and come together as one to honor McKune.

After hearing about McKune’s death, on Monday Oct. 29, Westside Red Shield leaders Cedric Homan, Ethan Goldner and Nolen Breedlove direct messaged the Crazies’ leaders on Twitter, inviting them to the pre-game tailgate Friday night and suggested the student sections combine themes.

“Nolen and I were sitting talking and we thought it’d be a good idea to do something for [Millard West] because we heard about what happened,” Goldner said. “We felt really bad, we knew they were probably going through a hard time. Nolen is the one who said the idea should happen.”

Homan and Goldner said the Crazies were very thankful that they reached out to the Millard West community.

“They repeated [how much they appreciated the message] multiple times,” Homan said.

Crazies’ leader Cassie Hallgren, said Red Shield made a huge impact at Millard West this week.

“Honestly, I got very emotional when [Red Shield] dm’d us on twitter because we need support like that,” Hallgren said.

The Crazies agreed to combine tailgates and share a blue out theme, McKune’s favorite color. Westside cheerleaders will also be giving Millard West’s cheerleaders blue ribbons to put on their uniforms and in their hair.

“I expect [the amount of Millard West students to show up at the tailgate] to be about the same amount as how many Westside people go,” Homan said.

The unity of the two schools was recognized on social media by the Omaha High School Football twitter account (@OmahaHSFootball).

“It was nice to be recognized, but we weren’t really doing [it] as a publicity stunt,” Goldner said. “We knew how they were feeling because personally I’ve felt that and probably a lot of people at Westside have felt losing a close friend from high school, so we wanted to make it as easy as possible for them.”

About the Writer
Laina Bayles, Managing Editor

Hi my name is Laina Bayles! I am a managing editor for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a senior and this is my second year on Wired. If you have...

• Red Shield Shows Unity For Friday’s Playoff Game

Feature

Michele Hinde: Educational Assistant’s Journey Before Westside

Feature

Warrior Alumni Speakers Give Words of Wisdom

Feature

Rockbrook Elementary School Honors Veterans in the Community

Feature

Student of the Week: Kelly Kroeger

Feature

Tatenda’s Talent Takes Stage

Feature

Middle School Poetry Club Enriches Student’s Lives

Feature

Deca Students Create 5K to Raise Awareness

Feature

Our Perspective Changing Experience in India

Feature

Westside Graduate Adjusting to Running at Higher Level

Feature

Angela Mosier Earns her Doctorate in Education