Doing it All: New teacher impacting students inside and outside of the classroom

Brody Schmaderer, a new freshman healthy living teacher,  has been taking on the non-curricular task of a freshman football coach. Schmaderer said he has always been passionate about football, as he was a three-sport athlete throughout his years in high school. Thanks to this experience, he says he has found a love for coaching the sport.

Despite this being his first year teaching at Westside High School, Schmaderer said coaching freshman football is helping him become more connected with all of his students.

“I think [coaching] definitely allowed me to get closer and have a better relationship with the students that are on our football team, and allows me to also connect with other students in the class,” Schmaderer said. “It’s helping me build good relationships for sure.”

Student-athletes, such as Carter Hogan, say they are fond of Schmaderer’s teaching and coaching style.

“He’s just a really positive presence to be around,” Hogan said. “He’s always encouraging us and pointing out mistakes that we are making in order to get better.”

Freshman A’s running back, Dominic Rezac, said he believes that Schmaderer’s presence is likely to impact their season.

“I think we will definitely do better in games just from learning from him and we will definitely know the plays better,” Rezac said.

Schmaderer said he believes that football changes his athletes for the better, and brings out character in the students. As a teacher, he said he also knows that these characteristics are just as important in school.

“Being on the football team helps the students be accountable here in the building,” Schmaderer said. “So we know when they have their jersey on that they are football players, so they act better and treat other people better; I think it has impacted their behavior for sure.”

Although Schmaderer isn’t through his first year teaching at Westside, he has already made a name for himself.

“He’s just as good of a teacher as he is a coach,” Hogan said.