Preview: Young Quarterback, Veteran Leaders Ready for First Test

The Warriors will kick off the 2018 football season with a 7 p.m. game against Bellevue East on Friday, August 24th. The game will be held at Bellevue East High School.

The Warriors have a lot of young talent that should be displayed on Friday’s game, such as sophomores Cade Haberman, Avante Dickerson and Cole Payton. Haberman and Dickerson both showed great promise on the varsity level during their freshman campaign, and for Payton he will be playing in his first varsity game as starting quarterback.

“You would think there would be a lot of pressure going into it being that I’m young, but really all the pressure is from myself, my whole team and coaches have my back no matter what.” Payton said.

All though the young talent seems to be very strong the Warriors also have some solid veterans on the team such as Nolan Miller-Johnston, Brett Curran, Dylan Packett, Sam Parsonage and Joe Stegman. Stegman seems to trust the preparation that his team has done through the offseason.

“I think we’ve been preparing very well,” said Stegman. “We’ve been going at it all summer and have been looking forward to the season and we have very high hopes so we’ve all been working hard and we’re ready to finally put it to the test against Bellevue East.”   

Westside will take the field against the Chieftains at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the game for $6 per adult and $4 per student.