DECA students look to compete at state competition

On Thursday March 15 Westside DECA will be sending over 100 students to the annual state competition.  Participants will compete in many different business oriented events to try and make the top three. These few students will have secured a spot at the International Career Development Conference, in Atlanta, Georgia, where they can compete in hopes of becoming an international champion.

DECA adviser Sarah Schau noticed that enrollment for state has decreased in the last year.

“I think that there was less engagement with the juniors which led to less of them enrolling for State DECA,” Schau said.

Although there are less people competing this year, Schau still feels confident in the ability of Westside’s chapter.

“I’m excited to see everyone’s hard work pay off and how we all place,” Schau said.  “Smaller numbers doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll do worse.”

President Lauren Fehr also noticed some small differences between this year and last year’s chapters.

“One thing I have noticed that is different [from last year] is that the senior and junior DECA members aren’t as close as last year,” Fehr said. “I think it’s this way because we haven’t spent as much time getting to know each other.”

Fehr said she wants those in DECA to be able to connect with each other while competing, and to have fun during the process.

“I am hoping for those participating that people will branch out and get to know each other,” Fehr said. “Last year was so special because I made so many new friends and shared great memories with them.”