ATSC strives for greatness as their season continues

With show choir season in full swing, Westside’s Amazing Technicolor Show Choir (ATSC) has been working hard to get the results they want. ATSC, along with Simply Irresistible (SI), traveled to Chicago this past weekend to compete in the Clash of the Sequins at Naperville North High School.

Fischer Davis, a senior on ATSC, says that there was some serious competition in Chicago.

“Millard West’s ‘West in the Groove’ Show Choir and their uni-sex group, ‘Uptown Girls’, also competed at the Clash of the Sequins,” Davis said. “Waubonsie Valley ‘Sound Check’ was also there. These groups were our biggest competition.”

ATSC recently made some changes to their show, causing them to have to work extra hard.

“We have made a ton of changes in the last couple weeks,” ATSC senior Alexis Rose said. “We have cut a bunch of stuff out of our show and we also changed our opener. We added the song ‘Come Alive’ from the Greatest Showman and made it a medley.”

To be on Westside’s ATSC, you have to be very talented. For years on end, ATSC has been one of the most outstanding show choirs in Nebraska.

“This year, every competition we go to is very difficult to win, and I think sometimes it is hard to not get discouraged when we have been ‘losing’ more than past ATSC groups,” Rose said. “We just have to realize that when we try our best, we don’t have any control over what the judges say, and we have to remember that we’re doing this for fun and not to win.”

Although ATSC didn’t win this past weekend, they still have a little over a month remaining in their season, so both Davis and Rose have high hopes for their group.

“Our only obstacle is ourselves, making sure we believe in ourselves and trust what we are doing is good,” Davis said. “We will continue to improve by just having more fun with it and making the changes that the judges have suggested.”