Preview: Westside Basketball to Go Battle With Spartans

The Westside varsity basketball teams will take a 49 mile road trip to pay a visit to Lincoln East High School on Saturday, December 14, 2017.  The Spartan ladies are rolling into the weekend with a perfect 4-0 record, which will be put to the test once more before taking on the Warriors.  Westside girls basketball, however, is off to a quick 3-1 record that was made in part because of a 60-52 win over Millard West Tuesday.  Meanwhile on the boys front, the Warriors are rolling in off a 56-53 win over Millard West, and the Spartans will be tested once more before Saturday’s matchup.

The Westside girls are coming in off a bounce back win over the Millard West Wildcats on Tuesday.  They were led in that game by Ryley Nolin who scored 14 points thanks to some clutch free throws down the stretch.  To have defensive success on Saturday, the Warriors will have to slow down 6’1″ senior Regan Sankey who averages 19 points per game and just over four rebounds thus far.  They’ll need McGinnis-Taylor to show up in the paint as she has all year as well.

On the boys side of the double header, Westside will go into Lincoln with a big win over the Wildcats in terms of confidence.  The Warriors will need Thompson and Booth to get hot both offensively and defensively to gain success. The dynamic duo is averaging a combined 37 points per game, and they will need to step it up to help stop the Spartans’ own in Sam Griesel and Jordan Janssen.  Those two are also averaging 37 points a game combined, so Westside will need to force the Spartans to find other options.

The Warriors and Spartans will go to battle on Saturday, December 16, 2017, beginning with the girls at 5:15 p.m.