Students react to high-profile sexual harassment allegations

Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer are just a few of the well-known successful males that have recently been accused of multiple sexual harassment allegations. The two news hosts were immediately fired after the accusations came out. The claims left everyone in shock, including their ex co-hosts Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell.

“I was kind of shocked that a man like him would do such a thing,” freshman Thomas Mann said. “You can’t do that and not get away with it.”

Days after being fired, Matt Lauer’s lawyers approached NBC asking for his last paycheck for 2017. NBC responded that they will not reimburse Lauer for the work he did up until his last day.

“He’s been [reporting] for so many years and yet no one did anything and there was a variety of people who knew about it so it’s just kind of disturbing really,” junior Regan Shafer said.

These two are not the only men that have been accused of the intolerable behavior. Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein are some other men that have been publicly called out. Society has not kept quiet ever since the allegations came out.

The hashtag “#metoo” originally came out in 2006 but has recently made a reappearance since early October. The phrase is meant to empower women of all color to speak out against sexual abuse. Powerful females such as Ellen DeGeneres, Viola Davis, and Gabrielle Union have risen and used the phrase on their social media platforms.

TIME Magazine recently announced their Person of the Year as The Silence Breakers. TIME honored victims of sexual assault that spoke out to spread awareness. In effort to bring a realization to society of the horrors of sexual abuse, TIME told the stories of people of all races, ethnicities and genders.