Filed under News, Opinion, Uncategorized

The loss of an open and free internet?

You try to load up twitter on your verizon phone, to see the newest items from https://twitter.com/westsidewired. At the same time your friend with AT&T is loading up the same page, but it loads 5 times as fast your phone. This could be your day to day reality if “net neutrality” goes away.

Net neutrality is the ability to have an unthrottled connection to the open internet. Under the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) guidelines, the internet as it currently stands is a Title II utility, which allows users to not have to worry about companies encroaching and taking away the ability to have an open internet. Come December 14th, the FCC will vote and decide whether or not they will take away their own ability to enforce their net neutrality rules. They will no longer be able to make it so companies are required to give you open internet, and the companies will have full reign on your internet speeds.

As a student at Westside the internet is integral to our daily work. From using google classroom to taking tests for class, sophomore John Pekula agrees that the internet is important.

“The internet is an escape for people, and it’s expensive as it is, and being from a lower wage family, the restrictions would make it harder for my family to afford it.” Pekula said. ”There is more room for throttling and putting the average person at a disadvantage. A lot of school sites and assignments would be more expensive to even access.”

Not only would net neutrality affect your entertainment, but it would also affect your school work.

Without net neutrality you will have your connections withheld. If you want accesses full internet without net neutrality, be prepared to pay. If that sounds like the way you want to live, be my guest. But otherwise, net neutrality is vital and important that we make our voice heard.

Before Decemeber 14th you can acceses the FCC comment page: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name:((17-108)) and leave comments voicing your concerns and arguments for net neutrality. You can let them know what this means to you, make your voice known and defend our internet

• The loss of an open and free internet?

News

Snowy Struggles: Students and Teachers Face Difficulties Getting to School

Lance

Midterm Election Preview

News

School Violence: Recent Incidents in Omaha Highlight Importance of Safety

News

Evangelical Club Comes to Westside

News

Preview: Noodles and Nostalgia

News

Math IMC Introduces New Phone Policy

News

Open for Business: Power Outages Do Not Cancel School

Lance

Super Search: District Begins Search for New Superintendent

News

Student Section Theme Controversy

Lance

Redrawing the Line: Westside Redraws District Boundaries