MOVIE REVIEW: The Hateful Eight (2015)

Man, Quentin Tarantino is one interesting director! I don’t know if it’s because of his style or the way his movies are written, but he sure is something else. Either way, his bizarre charisma shines in his most recent project to date. ‘The Hateful Eight’ was probably one of the most controversial movies of 2015, and it also likes to mention the fact that it’s Tarantino’s eighth project.

This movie is set post-civil war and follows a bounty hunter (Samuel L. Jackson) looking for a way to get to Red Rock, Wyoming. One snowy day, he comes across John “the Hangman” Ruth (Kurt Russell), his prisoner (Jennifer Jason Leigh), and a sheriff (Walton Goggins) also on their way to Red Rock. Together they go to Red Rock, but get held up at a cottage due to a wild blizzard. At the cottage, they meet an Englishman (Tim Roth), a Confederate general (Bruce Dern), and a Mexican (Demian Bichir). Now, I will say that the first hour took forever and I got bored for a few minutes after the first hour, but ‘The Hateful Eight’ for the most part had my interest. For example, the first couple scenes between Jackson, Russell, and Jason Leigh were interesting, but then the movie began to slow down for the next 40 minutes or so.

The cast seems pretty legit coming to the fact that big-named stars such as Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, and Channing Tatum are in it. In fact, this movie is Jackson’s sixth time collaborating with Tarantino and Russell’s second. I wasn’t expecting Kurt Russell to have less screen time than he had and I didn’t know that Channing Tatum was in this movie until I saw the opening credits. Don’t get your hopes up though because he’s only in three scenes. I will say there were two maybe three moments where I laughed my butt off while watching this. I won’t say what parts because they either contain a spoiler or they’re too graphic/vulgar for me to say.

Prior to seeing ‘The Hateful Eight,’ I’ve only seen three Tarantino films and have had different opinions of them. First was ‘Reservoir Dogs,’ thought it was slow, dull, and confusing. Next was ‘Pulp Fiction,’ a masterpiece and hands down the best Tarantino film I’ve seen so far! Finally, ‘Inglorious Basterds,’ which was sometimes interesting and other times boring. Yet again, I get another different opinion from a Tarantino film! I overall thought that this movie was just good, nothing more and nothing less. Almost boring, but not 100% boring. I also originally didn’t plan on seeing this movie due its racist themes, but seeing it now I have a feeling I’ve seen worse but I don’t remember from where. Tarantino writes his own material, and I firmly believe he nails it every time. Still, the movies he write and direct get pretty heavy when it comes to racist remarks. I don’t think Tarantino is racist, but I do feel like he puts the N-word into his white characters’ mouths too many times. Nonetheless, this doesn’t ground me from seeing other Tarantino projects.

So to go back to the review, there wasn’t much that stood out to me in this movie. I mean, the plot was probably the most interesting part in it. So to conclude, watch ‘The Hateful Eight’ and determine whether or not you think it’s good. I will say that if you haven’t seen a Tarantino film prior to this, well….I’m not sure how you’re going to feel about ‘The Hateful Eight.’