Recent incident does not define our school

December 16, 2016

Within the past week, Westside has received a new reputation.

We’ve become the school with the “frosting incident.”

People around the community and the whole world— literally — have been buzzing about Westside. Based off of one incident, they assume things about our school and district. Comments like “what has Westside come to?” swirl the internet. Due to this unfortunate event the way people view our school has shifted. Our world, nation and community think we are defined by this.

They’re wrong.

Here’s what they don’t know:

Westside has been in the media 74 times since August — highlighting positive aspects of our district. Whether it’s the story of a custodian helping a child find her retainer, an eighth grade student earning a perfect ACT score in science or a group of students getting real-life experience in the business world it is clear that Westside is thriving.

The incident solely reflects those students involved— not our high school. Keep in mind, the few do not represent the many. This event will not hold us back. Westside provides an exceptional education to its students like no other in the state. In an article published on Nov. 15, 2015, Business Insider rated Westside High School as the best public high school in Nebraska. According to this notable source, Westside excelled in academics, teachers, college readiness, resources and facilities.

This speaks volumes to the type of establishment Westside Community Schools upholds, and it’s no surprise to us students. We enter school everyday to excited educators, several of whom have received various awards.

Modular scheduling provides unique opportunities for Westside students, promoting the time management skills necessary for college. The district’s top priority is preparing young people for the real world.

By no means are we justifying what occurred because it is inexcusable. We just want to remind the world that Westside is a phenomenal school producing talented graduates, and that hasn’t changed.

Superintendent Blane McCann wrote a letter to parents Sunday, Dec. 11.

“We believe our district is providing…welcoming, respectful and inviting environments for all of our learners and employees to grow,” McCann said.

We are Westside, and Westside is a noteworthy school filled with accomplished students and teachers who are striving to make a difference in the world. Let this be the lasting reputation you remember.