Graphic by Emma Kopplin
Graphic by Emma Kopplin

“Just don’t say it”: The use of the “N” word at Westside

November 10, 2016

Who owns the “N” word? Over the last decade, the word has become very controversial in regards to who can use it. It has grown to have a tremendous influence on today’s society, particularly among teenagers.

As the years have progressed, much leeway has been created to allow people that aren’t of the African American culture to engage in the use of the “N” word. I have been a witness to the use of the “N” word by non-blacks at Westside High School.

As an African American, I find it very offensive when someone who isn’t of the African American culture uses the “N” word simply because they aren’t apart of our culture. Many disagree and don’t understand the concept of blacks being allowed to engage in the use of the of the word. The root of the “N” word is derived from the word n***er, which whites used to oppress blacks during slavery and beyond. As a result, blacks adopted the word and made it their own to add a better ring to it. Cynthia Robinson, an associate professor at UNO that specializes in black cultural identity, expressed her take on the growing issue.

“I think in today’s society they (whites) are trying to mainstream the use of the “N” word and they can’t because it has a negative connotation to it,” Robinson said.

In black culture, the “N” word is used as a word to refer to someone as your friend, loved one or most often from one black man to another. It’s viewed as an ingroup word and if your aren’t a part of that particular group, you aren’t allowed to say it. In regards to the use of the word at WHS, assistant principal Trudi Nolin, finds it very inappropriate and offensive regardless of one’s color.

“It’s one of those things we should not allow in our building,” Nolin said. “It has not been a word that we would say and shouldn’t be socially accepted.”

While saying the “N” word verbally is offensive to some, others may agree that using the word while singing a song isn’t as offensive.

“I have some white friends and when they say it in a song, I’m like ‘It’s kind of in the song,’” said senior Ravionne Pullum. “If they’re not, like, dragging it out, like they put a whole lot of emphasis on the word when it comes to the song, then I think it’s fine.”

I understand it’s a natural occurrence to state every word within a song when singing. However, it still should not be on the lips of non-blacks. When someone refers to someone that isn’t black as the “N” word, it may create leeway for that specific person to be able to say it as well. Junior Heath Cloyd is one of many that refrain from the use of the word, despite being referred as it.

“To all my African American friends, I just say, ‘homie’,” Cloyd said. “They call me it all the time but, I mean, I’m not going to say it back.  , It’s not my place.”

As an African American, I believe there are boundaries to the use of the “N” word. You must be considered black to use it. It should not be used as an adjective.