Creighton Prep to Issue Mandatory Random Drug Testing

In 2008, Creighton Prep implemented a random drug testing policy for students interested in playing sports for the school. Wednesday, Jan. 8, Creighton Prep announced that, starting in the 2014-2015 school year, all Creighton Prep students will be placed in a random hair follicle drug testing program.

Starting in August 2014, samples of hair follicles will be taken and tested for alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, PCP’s, amphetamines and opiates. Creighton Prep will pay for the first test. The program serves to educate students on substance abuse and discourage further abuse if present.

In addition to educating students, the policy hopes to “Foster an environment that makes it easier for students to say, ‘No,'” according to Nate Driml, the Creighton Prep Alumni Director.

For students who test positive, meaning the drugs are or were present in their system, they start a non-disciplinary program of evaluation. This “First positive” checkpoint is to educate students and their parents on drug prevention, as well as give access and guidance to counseling, help and interventions. Ninety days later, the student will be tested again, this time on the student’s expense. 

If the second test is positive again, it will be considered a “Second Positive,” according to Creighton’s Health and Wellness program. The Dean of Students will explore disciplinary consequences up to and including dismissal from Creighton Prep. Testing positive a third time will result in automatic dismissal from the school.

Creighton believes a majority of students will test negative, and hopes students will use the new policy as a talking matter with family, friends and counselors.

“Our goal is to compassionately form a healthy young man who has negotiated the external pressures of adolescence in becoming an adult in the service of others, guided primarily by a strong set of internal values,” Creighton Prep Principal John Naatz said. “We look forward to caring for our students in this new way.”