Red Cross Blood Drive Returns to Westside

The blood drive held at Westside High School is one of Westside’s longest running traditions. In years past, Science Department Chair Brenda Zabel has been in charge of organizing the drive, but this year, Medical Club sponsor Patrick Caffey has taken the reigns, along with fellow Medical Club sponsor Jordan Rhodes. Caffey has been posting trivia questions on the school’s bulletin, and looks forward to this year’s blood drive.

“[The trivia questions] are just a way to advertise the blood drive and get people to stop and think about the importance of giving blood,” Caffey said.

While Caffey doesn’t always give blood during the school’s blood drive, he finds other times throughout the year to donate his blood.

Caffey is appreciative of the Red Cross coming in and allowing for an opportunity such as the blood drive, likening the school’s role as “auxiliary support” for the Red Cross.

Concerning students possibly passing out or feeling lightheaded after giving blood, Caffey states that it is “normal” for this to happen, as it does every year.

As a whole, Caffey enjoys the blood drive, and no matter the turn out of students, looks forward to it each and every year.

“[The number of students participating] might vary each year, and sometimes we might not have as many in the spring,” Caffey said. “One of the problems we have is students signing up during lunch mods or at 7:45 in the morning. Those times are high volume and we might have to turn some people away if everyone shows up, but we figure if we can get enough people there that we have to turn some away, that is good.”

Finally, Caffey’s biggest tip to anyone who is planning to donate blood is to “have plenty of water the day before,” and to have eaten something, too.