Student Juggles Overlapping Activities

“I wake up around 5:30 a.m. everyday for cheer practice and then band practice in the morning,” Salisbury said. “I then go to homeroom and have band outside first mod everyday.”

For most students, “senioritis” starts as early as sophomore year. Instead of taking on challenges, they try to scathe through high school with as little stress as possible. Senior Laura Salisbury took a different approach. From the beginning of freshman year Salisbury has been a member of both marching band and the cheerleading team. Now, during her senior year, Salisbury serves several leadership roles, including being the only flute line captain and one of four varsity cheer captains.

Right away, varsity cheer coach Amy Studts noticed Salisbury’s leadership capabilities.

“Her junior year Laura really stepped up,” Studts said. “It’s through her actions that she displayed the leadership skills to be a good captain.”

Even the best leaders get stressed out. Salisbury understands the importance of a tight schedule.

“The most stressful part is scheduling my days perfectly so band and cheerleading don’t conflict, but it doesn’t always work out,” Salisbury said. “Friday’s are very crazy. I have cheer practice at 6:30 a.m. and band practice at 7 a.m. All the cheerleaders eat dinner together around 5 p.m. Then, I report to band at 5:30 [p.m.] to warm up, lead different flute line traditions, and get ready to march. I march pre-game and half time, and I cheer during the whole game. I don’t really get a break in between.”

Salisbury’s impressive scheduling does not go unnoticed.

“Laura has to use time management skills wisely,” Studts said. “She does a great job of that. Few students can take difficult classes, keeping up good grades, and managing their time of all things they are involved in.”