New Plans for Crossroads Mall

The corner of 72nd and Dodge has been home to Crossroads Mall since September of 1960. Since then it has gone under two major renovations and is about to undergo a third.

Omaha Century Development, owner of Crossroads Mall, has teamed up with OTB Destination LLC to completely renovate the corner. If all goes to plan, by April of 2015, the new development will be home to an open-air shopping center with 60-80 retail stores, 200,000 square feet of office space, a hotel, and a two-acre public park. The project will cost roughly $350 million with $20 million funding the building of the hotel, and $15 million spent on a Web-based wireless network that would be contained to the mall’s 45 acres.

The parking garage west of Target-and Target itself-will stay open during the renovation. The rest of the mall will be leveled. There are many speculations as to what kind of stores will be coming Omaha’s way, however none have been confirmed. It has been confirmed, however, that among the national retail chains, they will offer 10-20% of the retail space to local merchants.

City Councilman Pete Festersen has been working on the revitalization of Crossroads for over four years and is optimistic about the future of the area, “I am excited for the new-to-market retail and mixed-use opportunities it will provide for the surrounding neighborhoods and believe it will be a great asset for the entire city and its tax base.”