Flu Epidemic

If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet you may still want to consider getting one. Although flu season may be on the decline, the center of disease control and prevention still recommends people to get their flu shot.

High demand of the flu shot has caused certain places in Omaha to run out. Dr. Jeff Nelson of Midwest Allergy and Asthma clinic said ever since the epidemic hit the news, the clinic has had a lot more phone calls.

“We’re out of a couple kinds of the shot, the mist and the one for small children.” said Nelson

In a Westside Wired poll 54% of students said they had gotten their flu shot (457 surveyed(. According to Nelson, it’s not too late to get the shot because the flu still has around six weeks left. The type of flu going around right now is the influenza respiratory flu. Symptoms of this flu are a bad sore throat, relativilty high fever, bad cough, body aches, and fatigue.

One child and two adults have died from the flu in Nebraska according to Fox News.  Westside High School nurse, Deb Raven said increasing amounts of students have been gone from school. Although not all students have confirmed they have the flu, as of last Tuesday , 70-80 students were absent from school.